Mark of the Ninja is a 2D stealth-platformer developed by Klei Entertainment, the creators of Shank. Players take on the role of a ninja, lurking in the shadows and dispatching foes using a variety of tactics. The official release date was September 7, 2012 for Xbox, October 16, 2012 for Steam/PC.
The official site describes the the game as follows:
You are a ninja who bears the mark — a tattoo whose ink bestows heightened senses, but at a terrible cost.
- Observe… your enemies from the darkness, and use your agility to gain the high ground. Plan your line of action, and execute it before they discover you.
- Manipulate… Your foes with simple yet versatile tools. Blow out lights with a bamboo dart, create a diversion with a child’s firecracker, and kill your prey with a deadly trap.
- Experience… The tension and thrill of being a ninja — powerful but fragile, quick but deliberate.
The game features various upgradeable techniques. These include:
- Hangman's Hymn
- Emperor's Abyss
- Twilight Gate
- Bat's Prey
- Rising Snake
- Superior Lockpicks
- Armored Sleeves
The game features various deception items that can be used to distract guards. These include:
The game features various attack items that can be used to dispatch guards.
The game features several costumes which affect gameplay, and by extension, the player's strategy.
- Ink & Dreams
- Breaching the Perimeter
- The Trail of Shadow
- A Change in Course
- The Fall of Hessian Tower
Mark of the Ninja received "universal acclaim" reviews on Metacritic getting a metascore of 91/100 on PC and 90/100 on Xbox 360. On whatoplay.com, it receives an aggregate score (playscore) of 9.04 on PC and 8.37 on Xbox 360.
- ↑ Metascore for Mark of the Ninja on PCMetacritic, Retrieved June 24, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for Mark of the Ninja on Xbox 360Metacritic, Retrieved June 24, 2020
- ↑ Playscore for Mark of the Ninja on PCwhatoplay.com, Retrieved June 24, 2020
- ↑ Playscore for Mark of the Ninja on Xbox 360whatoplay.com, Retrieved June 24, 2020